Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fate? Coincidence? Law of Attraction?

I had been looking for a very special horse for about a year.

I looked at hundreds of horses on the internet - drove hundreds of miles to look at others and sat through numerous video tapes. Some beautifully showcasing the horse for sale, some truly disastrous and heartbreaking.

My criteria was very specific - but sometimes I would get discouraged and begin to think that I would never find exactly what I was looking for or that I couldn't afford it and that I should settle for something less.

This past Spring we were in the process of moving across the country. I was on a trip to Raleigh to visit my husband to look at houses for sale. The layover between flights was 3 1/2 hours so I booted up my computer and looked at pictures of pretty horses for sale. On this particular search, I had forgotten to type in the parameters for price. Hence, some spectacular pictures popped up of some very expensive horses.

One of them really got my attention - his description was everything that I was looking for; size, training, temperment, age, athletic ability, and stunningly beautiful. But, he was a breeding stallion and waaaaay out of my price range.

I sent an email anyway in the hopes that they would either have or know of another horse that might be suitable for me. Or they would say, "If you have to ask the price honey, you can't afford the horse."

I actually inquired about several horses that day and had an inbox full of responses when I returned to Denver. They didn't take long to sift through, "Thanks, your horse sounds very sweet, but he's just a little older than I'm looking for."(He's actually 27 and the picture on the website was of him as a 5 yr. old stallion).

One of the responses came from southern Illinois and appeared to be a worthy candidate. Since my husband was coming to Denver that weekend anyway he encouraged my to go ahead and visit the horse and he would stay home with the kids and do some packing. (I have a GREAT husband).

My husband was flying in late Wednesday night, so with some time to kill before heading to the airport I checked my email to see if anyone had sent along any good jokes that day. What I found was a response from the owner of the very expensive stallion I had inquired about the weekend before. She told me she had shared my inquiry with her friend and co-owner of their horse and decided that if he was a good match for me that they would rather see him go to a home where he will be active and loved than to a breeding facility where he will be isolated for the rest of his life. They had already turned down full price offers because they didn't want him to go to the kind of home that would be provided. She quoted me their rock bottom price. It just happened to be the same as my ceiling price. I was so excited I started vibrating. But I had just booked a flight to Illinois for the next day and it was the last chance I would have to travel to see a horse until sometime in July. I flipped back to the ad they had to see what part of the country they were located. Oh, My God... Southern Illinois. One hour from the St. Louis airport and one hour from the other horse I was already scheduled to see. What were the odds of that coincidence? Since it was 11:00 pm in Illinois at this time I was afraid it was too late to call - I fired off an email, "You're not going to believe this but...".

Not surprisingly by now, he (Cruiser) was everything I had been looking for in a horse. Horsanality Plus! His owner/trainer was a beautiful rider and had taught him well. Impeccable ground manners, just spectacular under saddle. He knows far more than I do. I could hardly believe I had actually found everything I wanted in a horse, all in one package.

I did go to visit the other horse I had scheduled to see. He (Major) was an awesome animal, less expensive, but with some definite emotional issues. I was caught off guard by what happened next. The 'rescuer' in me tried to take over and rationalize why I should buy the less expensive horse and 'fix' him. (He wasn't even ridable).

That night I was distraught with indecision, almost sick. Wouldn't it be selfish of me not to try to help the horse that needed the right kind of training? Cruiser was so well trained, he knows more than I do, I'm not worthy of a horse that good... and on it went through the night.

The next day I called to visit Cruiser again on my way to the airport before I made a decision. Thank God I did.

We took a wonderful ride around the farm. While sitting on his back the dark clouds in my mind rolled away. This is what I had been ASKING for. Every detail of a horse just like this had played out in my mind for months. My prayer is being answered - who am I to say 'no' to the Universe, to God for delivering to me - exactly what I have said I wanted. That awesome vibration of "this is it!" surged through every nerve ending in my body. I didn't want a 'project' horse in my life right now - I wanted a partner.

I know this is kind of a long story - but I feel it speaks to how many of us live our lives.

The process of finding Cruiser was a tremendous lesson in getting what I want.

*First - I had to SEE in my mind what that was - Exactly. You must form a clear and definite mental picture of what you want.

*Second - I had to ASK - take ACTION - a lot of inquiries - and not limit my asking because I was afraid of 'NO' or I couldn't afford it. If you believe in the Law of Attraction - you must be willing to physically take the necessary steps involved toward whatever it is you want.

*Third - I had to RECEIVE - I very nearly walked away from what I truly wanted thinking it would be selfish to choose exactly what I want over 'needs someone like me'. Recieving is the crucial point in the science of getting rich (getting what you want) - right here, where thought and personal action must be combined. My past 'programming' insisted that I settle for less than what I truly desired. I had to allow myself to receive the good that I had attracted to me.

Every one of those steps in the process is critical. Amazingly enough - I think this is true for a lot us. Sometimes the most difficult step is the ability to RECEIVE. Be Grateful and take what you asked for and do not settle for anything less.

2 comments:

Petra said...

Definitely "Law of Attraction".

I had a similar experience with my horses.

Stubby... he came to me in a dream. I dreamt about my horse life partner. He was part of a small herd of 3 made up of a gray, a brown and a 'light brown'. As I was standing in the paddock watching the horses the light brown one came up to me as if to say "I am the one". I told my hubby the dream and he just laughed, I told my friend who's assistance I had employed to help me find my ideal horse (about 12yo, gelding, been there done that attitude, no taller than 15hh and happy to be ridden by a raw beginner), and yep she laughed as well.

We looked at ads for months, had a look at many a horse and though some of them seemed to be 'right' they didn't feel right deep inside me. I pretty much gave up looking for a horse when I stumbled across an ad for a horse for sale, in a 2 week old local free newspaper I had forgotten to put in the bin; and felt compelled to ring.

Yep the horse is still for sale, had done pony club, polocrosse, ex-racehorse, failed eventer, great trail riding horse. I asked if I could have a look at him that afternoon. "Sure, come on out." I rang my friend... "he won't be right, don't get your hopes up; they all tell you what you want to hear." I pleaded with her and eventually she agreed to come with me.

On the way out there I told her I had a strange feeling of deja vu. She asked me why and I said... remember the dream I told you about? Yeah? This is it. She laughed.

She sure stopped laughing when we walked up to the paddock and three horses were in the paddock... a gray, a brown and a light brown (chestnut as she corrected be). The owner greeted us and told us that he will get the horse for us... three guesses which horse he walked to.

Schooner... after having a Stubby (the name of a beer bottle shape/size you can get here in Australia) I always jokingly said that my next horse will be Schooner (a 375ml beer glass into which the contents of a Stubby nicely fits).

When I looked for a horse for my husband who is a green rider, I wanted an old horse, 15+, experienced, bomb proof, layed back with a defnite been there done that attitude, under a $1000. Again I looked for months, then I stumbled across an obscure ad. Again I felt compelled to ring, and asked for a photo of the horse. I felt a conncetion, but... hubby wanted to look a bit more, though I was sure this horse was it. 3 months went by and I thought I have another look at this horse, somehow knowing that he would still be there and sure thing he was.

Hubby and I went to have a look at the horse, then I went out and had a look on my own and had a ride, bareback, lead rope and halter on a horse that hadn't been ridden for 12 months. This horse was exactly what I was looking for. I convinced hubby to have another look at the horse, and somehow Schooner convinced him that he was the horse for my husband.

At that last visit the owner handed us a laminated card he had received from the previous owner. On top of the card was the horse's name, Jester, underneath his Studbook name "Our Schooner".

Fate? Coincidence? I dont' think so.

Both these horses are a joy to have in our family, and last year they were joined by our 3rd horse ... Firefly... and she too has a story behind her and finding a horse by sheer coincidence... three times? No. It's the law of attraction.

Schelli Whitehouse said...

Wonderful story - gave me goose bumps!